Have you heard about Myobrace® treatment, but aren’t quite sure what it is or how it works?
You’re not alone!
We get questions from our patients all the time about this revolutionary treatment.
Many wonder: How effective is Myobrace® for straightening kids’ teeth?
Here are the answers to some of your most commonly asked questions about Myobrace® for kids.
What is Myobrace®?
The Myobrace® System is a preventive, pre-orthodontic treatment.
Instead of waiting to treat orthodontic issues when the permanent teeth have appeared, Myobrace® addresses the underlying cause of crooked teeth: proper jaw and facial development.
How does Myobrace® work?
Poor oral habits often cause improper jaw and facial development in early childhood.
These habits include:
- Breathing through the mouth
- Thrusting the tongue
- Reverse swallowing
The Myobrace® System works to correct these poor habits and ensure proper jaw development to prevent the need for orthodontic treatment later.
It does this in four steps:
- Habit correction therapy – Teaching children to breathe through their nose, the proper tongue position, and how to swallow correctly.
- Myobrace® for Kids – An intra-oral appliance is worn for 1-2 hours each day, plus overnight while sleeping. Kids seven and older will use this in conjunction with habit correction therapy.
- Myobrace® for Teens – Once the permanent teeth erupt, an oral appliance is used to align any teeth not already in their proper positions.
- Retention – The purpose of this step is to ensure the child continues his or her good habits and the teeth remain in the correct position.
Watch this short video to see how the Myobrace® System works.
How effective is Myobrace®?
The Myobrace® System’s effectiveness lies in its preventiveness. Providing in-coming permanent teeth with sufficient room to grow properly eliminates the need for traditional braces later.
Additionally, orthodontic relapse with traditional orthodontic treatment happens in 90% of cases according to the American Journal of Orthodontics.
Myobrace® is a more natural and permanent solution.
How will your kids benefit?
- Corrects poor oral habits
- Develops and aligns the jaw
- Straightens teeth
- Optimizes facial development
- Promotes healthy eating habits
- Improves your child’s overall health
Note: We also offer our adult patients an effective, non-traditional orthodontic approach to correcting genetic bite problems known as functional orthodontics.
How long does Myobrace® treatment take?
Generally, treatment with Myobrace® takes about the same amount of time as traditional orthodontics. The plus with Myobrace® is the oral appliance is removable and most only be worn one to two hours each day and overnight.
The Myobrace® appliance is made of flexible silicone.
The ease and the comfort of this treatment means your kids are more likely to comply with it!
When should my child start the Myobrace® System?
The sooner, the better! The best results will be achieved by starting treatment while your child’s jaw, facial muscles, and teeth are still developing. Seven to ten years of age would be ideal.
If you notice any of the poor habits mentioned earlier or problems with your child’s facial and jaw development, talk with us immediately about the possibility of treatment with Myobrace® for kids. Our Langley dentists will tell you the best options for your child’s particular needs.
Have more questions?
Hopefully, we’ve answered your questions.
If not, the best way to find answers is to talk with our team at Oral Health Solutions directly about your child’s needs.
We would love to help you find the best orthodontic solution, so your child can have a healthy, beautiful, and happy smile!